Friday, February 4, 2011

Snowday(s) Snapshots

We had an unplanned mid-week break due to the 'blizzard' this past week. We got around 18 inches of snow in a very short amount of time, coupled with lots of blowing and very cold temperatures. All of these together equalled two snowdays - yay!

By the afternoon of the first day, Quin and Jason were out trying to shovel/snowblow the driveway. Quin loved it, although I don't think her little shovel made a dent in all that snow!
This is the view from our front door. The area on the porch is covered, and snow doesn't usually accumulate there. The wind blew tons of snow on the porch - you can't even tell that the porch floor has a checker board pattern on it!
In my book, Snowdays = Food+Crafts+Fun
We started out the morning with gorilla bread (aka - monkey bread on cream cheese steroids) Double Yum!
We made heart shaped apple and strawberry pies.
I love this picture!
And, snow ice cream!
We put 10 cups of *fresh* snow in the bowl, a can of sweetened condensed milk and a tsp. of vanilla all together - and mixed. (note to anyone who wants to try - I would refridgerate the condensed milk for a few hours before hand, so it wouldn't melt the snow so quickly).
All of the kids loved it!
Easton
Ellery
Gianna
There was a whole lot of dancing throughout the two days. (Thanks again Uncle Nate for the Yo-Gabba-Gabba CD... not sure if I ever want to hear that one again! ;)
Quin and I made good ole' fashion heart suncatchers (crayon and wax paper melted with an iron)
She and I also spent most of the second day finishing up our 'heart crayons' that we have been working on. She will be giving these away as Valentine's to her classmates later in the week.
I was also giddy to have had some extra time to start organizing my sewing supplies! We have been slowly working to refinish our basement into a playroom/sewing area (it has been painfully slow!). My sewing machine was covered with a few inches of dust, and I found fabrics that I had forgotten all about. My old sewing room/guest bedroom will soon become Easton's bedroom. I can't wait until it is all moved and organized!!!
I was telling Jason last night that I think the last two days are what weekends should really feel like! Our weekends are so often filled with running errands, making meals, cleaning and lesson planning that I forget to spend REAL time with my family! I am so thankful for the two days that the blizzard gave to us!

No comments: