Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How Lucky I Am To Have So Much To Lose

This was the heading that popped up when I opened my hotmail account on Valentine’s Day (on msn.com). It has stuck in my head over the past few days and given me a lot to think about. I don’t think I could say it better. I truly believe that I am one of the luckiest people. I have a wonderful husband, beautiful and healthy children, amazing family, dedicated friends, support from strangers… I couldn’t ask for anything more! Thank you to everyone who takes time out of their day to think of us! I can only wish that everyone was as lucky as I :)

The triplets continue to plug along. Not a whole lot is new. The doctors have given us the okay to try a bottle once or twice a day with each one of them. There are some stipulations though – they have to be completely awake (on their own) and free of D-SATS and apneas (A D-SAT occurs when the oxygen in their blood stream dips down and apnea is a long pause in their breathing). Gianna and Easton are both known for having both of these (the doctor has reassured us that they both should grow out of this). I was able to feed Ellery the other day, and she took half of her bottle – great start! She really doesn’t have a whole lot of interest though. We will keep trying. All three are free of IV’s, and Easton has been free of breathing help for at least a week now. Gianna has been on a nasal cannula for the last few days. This just helps pump a steady flow of oxygen directly into her nose. It is on the lowest setting at this point. All three continue to gain weight also. Overall, they continue to do very well and are right where they need to be.

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers! We are truly blessed!

3 comments:

TheGeerlings said...

Wow Joelee! I cannot believe how good those little ones are doing! It's amazing to me that they can do the things they can already. They'll be home before you know it! :) Oh, and I like your blog title.

Amber said...

What a stirring title...I may have to steal it someday for my blog. :)Thank you Joelee for reminding me that in our lives, no matter what sorts of challenges we are facing, the very evidence of those challenges demonstrates all with which we've been blessed. I admire your spirit, girl. Praying for those babies! Hugs

Jill said...

I am so happy to hear that the babies are doing so well. They have come so far in such a little bit of time. Your spirit is so amazing. I hope I can be as strong as you when my 3 little miracles are born. I am 31 weeks 5 days today. I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers