Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Year Ago

This is the image that glared at us exactly one year ago:

I know, I have written about our initial reaction to finding out we were having triplets (when we bought the mini-van at the end of March). Working in my classroom the last few days and remembering how my mind was swirling with emotions last year at this time has really triggered my memory. I was soooo sick and trying to look/act 'normal'. Beyond my interactions with others, I went into a sort of depression about all of the things in my life that would never be the same and about all of the the risks that were involved. I was also overwhelmed at the thought of caring for three babies, plus Quin. Between the constant vomiting and the dip in my emotions, it was often difficult to get out of bed! I felt guilty for feeling the way I did. Afterall, being pregnant was exactly what we wanted. But, I continued to have a hard time not feeling helpless.

After a lot of soul searching, I quickly realized that self pity wasn't going to get me anywhere. My new motto became "it is what it is, and I can only change how I react to it". I tried to focus my negative energy into finding positives in every situation, along every step of the way. Now that I have lived the last year, I don't know what I was so worried about! I count my blessings each and every day. I am reminded often throughout the day how lucky I am, but one of my favorite times is when I watch all four of my beauties sleep. It is a wonderful sight! We have many daily challenges and life is far from easy, but I love it! Thank you to everyone who has helped to encourage me along this journey!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow, that ultrasound brings back memories. (Except the two on top looked like they were in the same sac. There were identical girls and shared the same placenta) At this time last year, I didn't even know I was pregnant. I didn't find out until 9/9/08 that I was pregnant. Hard to believe that a year ago I didn't know I was pregnant and today I have 6 month old healthy triplets. What a difference a year can make. Good luck going back to school. My first day back to work was a bit hard. I still call home and check on them =)