Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Day in the Life of...

…our fabulous four!
I have been trying to carve out time for over two months to write this post, but my time fills so fast that this post has been pushed down on my to-do list. I need to get it down in print now, because it has changed over the past few weeks.

People often ask me ‘what is your morning like?’ or ‘how do your evenings go?’ or ‘are your kids all on the same schedule’… I love to answer everyone’s question. I also like to look back at old posts and process how far we have come. So, this post is to kill two birds with one stone. As most of you know, this blog is my baby book(s) and helps serve as my memory. I have a HORRIBLE memory. So… This will be a long one. Sorry to those of you who just don’t care :)

No matter who is home (Jason, myself or our nanny), our fab four are pretty set on their schedule – same routine, just a different day. We try very hard to keep their daily ins and outs the same, which is key for us in having each day run smoothly.

7:00am – Gianna, our ‘who needs sleep’-er, is usually starting to stir. Jason and I change the triplets and bring them down for breakfast. We try to feed them breakfast before Quin wakes up – doesn’t always happen that way. During the week, Jason and I both leave the house around 8:00.
9:00 – Morning naps. Gianna needs the least amount of sleep, so she usually only takes a half hour nap. Easton and Ellery both take hour naps. Over the next month or two, I hope to decrease this so that we can spend more time outside when the weather warms up.
11:30 – Lunch/bottles for the triplets. Quin usually eats lunch around noon.
12:30 – Afternoon naps. The triplets take a nice afternoon nap – usually at least an hour and a half (depends on their morning). Quin has just recently moved on to a ‘big girl’ bed, so her naps are less frequent. We try very hard to have her ‘rest’ at least a half hour. When she does nap, we limit it to a half hour so that she isn’t up all night.
3:30 – The triplets have another bottle. My hope in the next month or so is to stretch this towards dinner.
5:00 – We have dinner as a family. We try very hard to make our nights together a ‘Focus On Our Four’ time. When the weather is nice, we love to get outside. We do bath every other night.
7:00pm – We give the triplets their last bottles. Quin usually has a small snack while she watches one of her shows. We then head upstairs for stories, singing, prayers and bedtime.
8:15 – All four kids are usually asleep. When we are lucky, they sleep through the night, until 7:00 the next morning. Gianna has had horrible nights for about a month and a half – her molars took FOREVER to come in. It was painful for all of us – it took her quite a bit of coaxing to fall asleep, and then she would wake up at least once in the middle of the night. I am hoping that we are passed that now (fingers crossed!).

After everyone is asleep, Jason and I do the dishes and any other tidying up that needs to be done. I then usually spend at least an hour doing school work. I try to go to bed around 10:30.
I try to wake up every morning around 5:30. This gives me enough time to get myself ready and do anything else that needs to be done (laundry, unload dishwasher, get breakfast around…). No – I don’t have a whole lot of extra time. So, what gives you might wonder? My ‘me-time’… which for the most part is okay. I have a huge pile of magazines and a loaded DVR just waiting for me. I only have 19 more teaching days – so it won’t be long until I can get to them (or so I am hoping).

I know I say it often, but I wouldn’t change a thing! We are very busy, but I love it!!! We do have rough days, days I wonder ‘what in the world did we get ourselves into’! But for the most part, things run pretty smoothly. The only reason why our family life works so well is because Jason and I are a team, and we have a wonderful nanny! A big thank you to both of them!

No comments: